Monday, February 8, 2010

Feb 7th

I don't have many words today but the pictures should speak for themselves. We are in Deming, New Mexico just about 49 miles north of Pancho Villa State park in Columbus. We traveled to Rock Hound State Park in Deming because I have always loved rocks. It is a gem hunting paradise. It is located right into the mountain side of the Florida Mountains in this area. We were unable to get a site with electric and water so we are "dry camping" for the first time. It is amazing here. Beautiful is a trite description of what it feels like to be here. I went for a hike this afternoon, rock bag over my shoulder and walked for a long while. I was able to find some beautiful rocks and stones. Whether they are valuable or not is irrelevant. They are beautiful. This area used to be an active gem stone mine so we are allowed to take 15 lbs of rocks out each day. I am looking forward to the morning when I can take off up into the mountain side to find what I can find. This is the most unusual State Park that we have found so far on our travels. The sites are scattered all over the mountain side, not set up like a parking lot as so many have been. I think we will stay a couple of nights here and then move on west as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment