Friday, March 5, 2010

Tuesday - March 2nd - 5th

   
Yes these are bras!  It is a Bra tree near our campsite in Blythe, Az.
No, not mine!!!

    
Full moon outside of Yuma
 
 
Surreal Desert - A separate reality


     
Storm coming in outside of Yuma, Az


   

Traffic, I'll show you traffic! Lake Havasu City Earl and I begin our 20 mile ride of the day




 
I did it!


Stealth camping - hope we don't get booted out in the night! 















The official kick-off of the 2010 ICCU (Iron County Cancer Unit) fund raiser began at 10:00 AM CST this morning!  Richard Boyd and Earl Norman began their ride just north of Yuma, Az up to just outside of Blythe, Az.  I drove the camper ahead of them and they caught up to me a few hours later.  We camped outside of Blythe in a neat little campground which was on a canal of the Colorado River.  We had to postpone the next day's ride for the guys because of the driver's error in pulling off the road.  She (me) hit high ground and tore off the black water gate valve.  Not a good thing but it could have been worse!  Richard and Earl were able to find parts at an ACE Hardware the next day and fix the broken part right in the ACE parking lot.  We then drove on to Buckskin Mountain State Park which is located right on the Colorado River.  The river is the border between California and Arizona.  The guys began their second ride from the park the next morning and I drove 30 miles ahead to Lake Havasu State Park.  Unfortunately we were unable to get a spot at the park because a Bluegrass Festival had purchased all the camp sites plus all the parking lots.  I waited for the men in the parking lot of the park and when they got to me we found an RV park in the city - 600 RV sites!  Not a pretty place to stay but it served the purpose of a place to stay with water, electric and sewer hook-ups.  This morning - Friday March 5th I was able to ride 20 miles with Earl while Richard drove the camper.  It was an awesome ride.  The first 13 miles were uphill - really!  Other then some sketchy road with no shoulder for a couple of miles it was great.  The sun was shinning brightly, the surrounding area once we rode out of Lake Havasu City was beyond description.  So beautiful.  I thought it was great just driving through the state, but riding a bike really helps you to appreciate the beauty that is out there.  Earl and I met up with Richard at the corner of Interstate 95 and I-40 and we are now "dry camping" out in the desert.  We just pulled off the road and found a place we could just drive out into the desert.  No one around but us, the mountains and hopefully no snakes.  I have only seen one Rattle Snake on this whole trip and that was in Organ Pipe Cactus National Park.  He/she was on the road when I was riding my bike and I just slipped on by with no trouble from him/her.  The guys will begin their ride tomorrow from here which is the old Highway Route 66 in Arizona and will head north up into Nevada. This weather has been unreal.  No rain for about a week.  Temp is around 80 degrees in the daytime but feels like 70.  I love the dryness of the air but you have to remember to drink a lot of fluids and slather up with sunscreen!  Hopefully I will be able to write again tomorrow.  I was unable  to do so for the last couple of days because of no signal for the internet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment