Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jan 20th -Wednesday
















When we arrived yesterday in Zapata it was sunny and 85 degrees. We awoke to fog and 60 degrees. I think the fog came from the reservoir but it hung on until about 1:00PM. As it lifted the sun started shining through and the air became drier and more like the Texas I had come to expect for this time of year. We went for a bike ride through the "neighborhood". I don't think there was one house or in this case "trailer" that was not chain link fenced in with at least one and usually two to three dogs (thankfully) inside the fences. Many were Pit Bulls and the rest German Shepherds - big ones I might add. Came across one loose Chihuahua which I made a wide berth around but Richard was looking at the German Shepherds across the street which were fenced in - the little Chihuahua was not. As I made a wide curve around the little guy he just looked up at me over his shoulder. Richard on the other hand was not watching where he was going and almost ran the little guy over! You know what they say about little ankle biters? Yup, it chased after Richard and almost bit him. I am not sure why most in this area have chain link fences around their homes or big guard dogs inside the fences. It might be to keep the illegals out. We rode down to the reservoir and found that the border was only about 50 feet out in the water! I took quite a few pictures today and decided that today was going to be critter day with photos. One will be up of the beautiful sunset just behind our camper. More bike riding tomorrow in a different direction. Lots of Border Patrol out today but they didn't look twice at us on our bikes. Not too many many illegals come across the border on bikes!! It was a fun day to explore the area and interesting people to talk with.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful photos, Jackie! So glad I stayed in school and learned to read! Really enjoy your descriptions...just like being there! :)

    ReplyDelete